Sunday, March 3, 2013

Augmented reality? Google has you covered.

(Full disclosure, I'm a Google fanboy, I use a Nexus 7 as my personal computer.) Google is just about to start what is effectively a 8000 unit public beta of their new technology, Google Glass, which will provide augmented reality, voice controlled point of view camera, point of view video chat, and GPS directions and route data  right in your line of vision! Is that a left or a right? Pretty hard too get confused when you are directly comparing your maps with the world in front of you.

Some people are criticizing Glass on the basis that all of its functions are already possible on top line smart phones. While this is true, these people are missing the point. Glass is about putting augmented reality within reach, if all it did was provide Google Now cards in my field of vision I'd be thrilled.

Glass is set to do a lot more then that though. The functions shown in the "How It Feels" product demonstration will open whole new worlds for microbloggers, recreational athletes, and for anyone who might find both their hands busy, but still need communications or information.

It shouldn't come as a surprise that I'm eager to try Glass, and that I'll be purchasing the first full release model. At which point you can look forward to first person videos of gardening and hunting. Oh, I'm sure you're just ecstatic.

No comments:

Post a Comment